Let us say that one more time: the water in your pool, hot tub and/or spa is safe – it can’t spread coronavirus. As long as you’re following regular maintenance and operation, you’re killing COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Both regular maintenance and operation are things you’re most likely already doing as a pool, hot tub and/or spa owner: shocking and sanitizing, balancing the chemicals in the water, brushing and vacuuming, running your pump, etc.
Keep Up Maintenance and Operation
Not only will proper maintenance and operation help your pool, hot tub and/or spa last longer, it will also help prevent the spread of infectious diseases, including COVID-19, and various other issues. As a coronavirus flier from the Pool & Hot Tub Alliance points out, “Without proper pool and hot tub maintenance various pathogens can grow, such as E. Coli. It can also create a breeding ground for mosquitoes and the diseases they carry, like West Nile Virus and Zika Virus.” While West Nile and Zika are not a common threat in West Michigan, they are a possibility and COVID-19, as you probably know, is a very real issue here.
Reminders and Additional Recommendations
To ensure that more than just your water is safe from the coronavirus, it’s smart to also consider the related people and things. To maximize protection, follow these reminders and additional recommendations:
- Continue sanitizing the water.
- Test your water weekly and balance the chemicals as needed. For pools, see our cheat sheet.
- Don’t let anyone get in that is feeling sick.
- Stick to your pool, hot tub or spa’s maximum capacity recommendation, which is usually one person for every three linear feet. Also, maintain the social distancing guideline of at least 6 feet.
- Wash all towels in hot water.
- Sanitize all nearby and in-water furniture, toys, etc.
- Give the pool, hot tub, or spa deck a wash with chlorinated water.
- Run the pump and/or circulation system for a couple of hours every day.
Zagers is Here for You
We know that you likely have a lot on your plate right now. That’s why we’re making it easier, and safer, than ever before to care for your pool, hot tub, or spa, with:
- Curbside pick-up: Need chemicals, filters, a new cover? You name it, we’ll pull it off our shelves and bring it out to your car.
- Curbside water tests: Drop off a sample and we’ll check your water for you. You’ll get your results along with recommended products to balance everything out, if necessary.
- Essential service: We can help make or keep your pool, hot tub, or spa water safe and sanitary.
The most important thing to remember is that we’re all in this together. Do your part by continuing to maintain your pool, hot tub, and/or spa, and try to make the most of this extra time with your family.